Cybersecurity is the act of using technologies (both software and hardware), controls, and processes to protect systems, programs, networks, devices, and data from cyber-attacks. It is a way of protecting your online presence and preventing hackers and other cybercriminals from exploiting your system and data. Cybersecurity can be categorized into 4 main parts, namely:
- Network Security – the act of securing a computer network from cyber attackers or malware.
- Application Security – the protection of software and devices from attack and keeping them free of threats.
- Information Security – the protection of the integrity and privacy of your data, Both in transit and storage.
- Operational security – the processes and decisions that ensure the efficient handling and protection of data assets.
What Is A Cybersecurity Breach and How to Avoid It?
A cybersecurity breach is an incident that results in unauthorized access to a computer, data, network, applications, or devices. It occurs when an intruder can bypass the system security put in place. Depending on how access was gained to a system, common types of Cybersecurity breaches include:
- Malware Attacks
This is usually done by what is called a phishing email which contains a link. Once you click the link, it spreads throughout your network and the attacker will gain access to your system and its data.
- Drive-by Downloads
This occurs with the use of viruses and malware on a compromised website to gain access to your system.
- Exploit Attack
This occurs on outdated operating and security systems. Such systems are vulnerable to cyber attacks unless updated.
- Weak Password Attacks
This occurs when the password to your system is easy to crack or guess. These are always easy for cyber attackers to gain access to.
To prevent cybersecurity attacks, you can try methods such as limiting access to your most valuable data which helps you protect your data better. You should update your software regularly to ensure that your system and network are well protected with the latest security apparatus. You should also have a plan on how to respond to a cybersecurity breach. This helps you to control the situation and prevent further access to your system, network, or data. It is advised to use strong and secure passwords that are not easy to decipher. These are some products you can use:
- Packet Sniffers – These are software or hardware cybersecurity tools used to monitor network traffic. They examine streams of data packets that flow within a network and between computers to better protect it.
- Antivirus Software – These are used mainly to detect and remove malware attacks.
- Encryption Software – This is software that is used to prevent unauthorized access to your network using cryptography.
- PKI Services – This is a combination of encryption, software, technologies, and services that enable entities to protect the security of their business transactions and communication on different networks.
- Network Security Monitoring Tools – These are used for the collection of analysis and escalation of indications and warnings to detect and respond to intrusions on a computer network.